Re: [LAU] Is CentOS good for audio stuff?

From: Roberto Suárez Soto <talkingxouba@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 24 2014 - 11:38:58 EET

El 24/12/14 a las 10:02, Kazakore escribió:
> I know CentOS has been used with the Fedora based PlanetCCRMA in the
> past so might be worth asking on their list as to the current status
> of it. I also know there is a more general audio spin for Fedora now
> (Fedora Jam??) so not sure how active PlanetCCRMA still is...

     That's the problem: it seems PlanetCCRMA is still "on the works"
for Fedora 20, and Fedora 21 has been out there already for a while.
Besides, I'd like to use more-or-less standard repositories as much as
possible.

     Anyway, from what I've gathered from my "investigations" these last
few days, I'm starting to realize that it's going to be easier to simply
install a LTS version of Ubuntu and stick to it: things like low latency
kernels and dkms are in the default repositories, while you have to
"cook" your own in CentOS. I could do it, but it'd be a maintenance
nightmare. And that's precisely what I'd like to avoid.

     A pity, because each time I upgrade to a new version of Ubuntu and
something breaks (usually the sound stuff; in particular, usually
pulseaudio), I angrily vow to switch to something else (fists raised to
the sky and all that). Guess it's time to ditch pulseaudio for good and
use only jack, and see if that makes everything easier.

     Thanks,

--
     Roberto Suarez Soto                         One man's foo
                                          Is another man's bar