Re: [LAU] Is CentOS good for audio stuff?

From: Kazakore <dj_kaza@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 24 2014 - 11:26:36 EET

On 24/12/14 16:05, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> On 12/24/2014 09:34 AM, Roberto Suárez Soto wrote:
>> I'm thinking about switching to CentOS (from Ubuntu) at home, because of
>> several reasons, but wonder: is it good for running Ardour, Jack and
>> related stuff? I don't mind using Ardour 2, as I don't need anything
>> very sophisticated, and would only want something that I can configure
>> once and stop worrying about. I do sysadmin work for a living, and would
>> rather not do it when I get home :-)
> My opinion is that almost any distro will do but some take more time to
> set up than others. CentOS might be a bit behind with the current
> versions of some applications but maybe it works with the
> http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/ repositories. But if you
> feel comfortable with CentOS, go for it!
>
> Best,
>
> Jeremy

I'm still on their mailing list although I haven't tried the
distribution for years now (have been using Ubuntu Studio for some time
but keep on meaning to try some others as not 100% happy...) Anyway, to
the point. I remembered there being a post about getting it to work with
CentOS 7 as the last officially supported version was 5. This was the
thread, so it might be worth picking it up again to ask how he went on
after some more time with it...

http://ccrma-mail.stanford.edu/pipermail/planetccrma/2014-July/018365.html

Regards, Dale.