Re: [LAU] Metal music made with linux

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 25 2014 - 19:03:09 EET

On Thu, 25 Dec 2014 14:43:57 +0100 (CET), F. Silvain wrote:
> The drums sound tooo dry for the wide wall of guitar
> sound. Some reverb on the cymbals and toms would cure that impression
> of two completely different components. Also the snare needs more
> high frequency content or accentuation to really persist against the
> guitars and the very bright open hihat.

IMHO the sound is consistent. It's missing transparency, but apart
from some "freshness" (boosting high frequencies at 10 K might do the
job, didn't test it, since I didn't listen to a song completely) and
from making the kick a little bit louder, the mix IMHO is ok.

> In Phantom Legion there's a lowly shuffled sound or instrument in the
> background. Is that the bass?

When there's the need to ask, then the mix isn't transparent! Less
compression and more EQing with knowhow IMHO is needed.