Re: [LAU] Graphic card

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 26 2014 - 07:33:13 EET

On Thu, 25 Dec 2014, Aurélien Leblond wrote:

> I was wondering if you guys would have a few advice for graphic card?
> My laptop blew up a few days ago, so I'm building a pc to replace it (haven't done that in years) - I'm
> not a gamer, the only things me and my wife are doing are music production and photo editing, only
> running Linux.
>
> Any advice between Radeon or GeForce? Which driver is good and doesn't disturb Jack or audio latency?

Almost all intel based MB come with onboard video with at least two and
sometimes three outputs. I have not noticed any performance issues in
graphics and have been able to have stable (no xruns) jack at 16/2 with
two video outputs in use. (ICE1712 Audio card, i5 with 4 cores... I had to
look to make sure I got PCI slots)

My older P4 with the gforce has been no problem either, but it is 10+
years old and probably not a good yardstick for a new build. I would never
have considered it's video performance as great, but CPU limitations may
have been a part of that too. The cost of monitors ($90 at walmart) is low
enough to make two monitors worth while for things like ardour or gimp.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net