Re: [LAU] Is CentOS good for audio stuff?

From: Roberto Suárez Soto <talkingxouba@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 26 2014 - 10:47:19 EET

El 24/12/14 a las 15:38, Ralf Mardorf escribió:
> The OP perhaps doesn't need a lowlatency or real-time kernel for his
> needs. He likely could use any distro with a vanilla kernel, by
> just adding 'threadirqs' to the boot options and installing rtirq.

     In fact, I'm currently using a low latency kernel, but only because
some time ago I was testing a Behringer UCG102, and I felt (very
subjective measuring) that it behaved better. I had never heard about
that "threadirqs" option. What's it for? I could only find the commit
description for it [1], and it seems it's mostly a debug option.

> FWIW some distros, e.g. Arch don't split packages, IOW headers are
> always installed too, but the OP doesn't like to compile. In my

     Oh, that's something I really despise about rpm distros. They tend
to ship awfully big packages with the kitchen sink, while Debian (and
therefore Ubuntu) splits everything to its tiniest atom. Sometimes it's
a bit too much, but usually it makes for saner and cleaner
installations. IMHO, of course. Not pretending to start a religious war
here O:-)

     Thanks,

[1]
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=8d32a307e4faa8b123dc8a9cd56d1a7525f69ad3

--
     Roberto Suarez Soto           There's no sinner without a future
                                      There's no saint without a past