Re: [LAU] Graphic card

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 26 2014 - 22:14:43 EET

On 12/25/2014 10:26 PM, David Christensen wrote:
> On 12/25/2014 03:13 PM, Aurélien Leblond wrote:
>> I was wondering if you guys would have a few advice for graphic card?
>> My laptop blew up a few days ago, so I'm building a pc to replace it
>> (haven't done that in years) - I'm not a gamer, the only things me and my
>> wife are doing are music production and photo editing, only running
>> Linux.
>
> I also prefer the Intel processors with built-in video (Intel HD
> Graphics). But beware:
>
> 1. Some chips (Atom?) have proprietary graphics without Linux support.
>
> 2. The newest chips require the newest kernel, X, and/or Intel graphics
> driver, which might not be found in "stable" distributions.
>
> Be sure to research the exact chip and FOSS distribution before you
> purchase.

There's no point in getting anything Atom-based for a desktop PC. They
don't have the horsepower. Although the graphics chipset in my wife's
Atom-based netbook works just fine with Ubuntu.

My desktop replacement laptop has a 4th-gen Haswell i7. Video works
fine. I'm using 64-bit Aptosid, which is currently in a weird between
state compared to Debian Sid. Sid has switched to systemd, but Aptosid
has not. So on my laptop, powering off requires logging in as root and
using the shutdown command. The other distro running on it is what it
came with, Ubuntu. The video worked fine with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I
dist-upgraded that to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, and the video works fine. Power
management also works fine on Ubuntu.

Debian has pretty much caught up with the HD4600 (Haswell) graphics of
current Intel, so I think there's not so much to worry about.

--
David W. Jones
gnome@hawaii.rr.com