Re: [LAU] Laptop soundcard

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 30 2015 - 15:31:58 EET

On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 12:08:59 +0100 Peter O'Doherty
<kevinpeterodoherty@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My laptop (running ubuntu) has the following (audio) specs. I know
> it's probably subjective, but is this considered "good enough" for
> pro audio work or should I invest in an external sound card? (Or for
> that matter a better laptop?!) And if so, which soundcard is
> recommended?
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio
> Controller (rev 03)
> Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Device ff66
> Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 46
> Memory at d6700000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
> Capabilities: <access denied>
> Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

The only thing "high definition" about the integrated audio interfaces
in laptops is in the name. Other than that they will sound okayish with
their speakers or with equally "high definition" head-phones. But as
soon as you connect them to a real amplifier/PA (and fix the
ground-loops) you will notice the noise and crappy quality. And after
connecting the laptop with a normal-sized audio-cable for more then 5
times you will get crackles from the broken soldering connection of the
plug...

Get a usb device or a firewire device if your laptop supports it.

Have fun,

Arnold