Re: [LAU] master levels

From: Atte <atte@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 02 2015 - 23:25:49 EET

On 02/02/2015 08:03 AM, Len Ovens wrote:

> This depends on your audience. This is not always the end listener, but
> may be the broadcaster or distributor or whoever is paying for it.
> Dynamics are nice IMO.

I had a fairly unpleasant experience last weekend. A band (indie/folk)
in which I play and for whom I also did/does some recordings + mixes
for, were played on national danish radio on the national chart. The
unpleasant part was that our song sounded really wimpy compared to the
other tracks. I recorded the whole stream and imported it in software to
investigate. It turned out that most of the wimpy-ness comes from us
being much lower (same peak levels, but not so heavily compressed) than
the other tracks.

So in theory or utopia, we should refrain from compressing our audio so
hard. But in reality, the loudness war is lost.

NB: This weekend were our third week on the chart. Now I squashed our
master accordingly and send it to them to play instead of the old, wimpy
one, should we be fortunate enough to still be on the list next week...

--
Atte
http://atte.dk   http://a773.dk