Re: [LAU] master levels

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 03 2015 - 01:08:57 EET

Atte <atte@email-addr-hidden> writes:

> I had a fairly unpleasant experience last weekend. A band (indie/folk)
> in which I play and for whom I also did/does some recordings + mixes
> for, were played on national danish radio on the national chart. The
> unpleasant part was that our song sounded really wimpy compared to the
> other tracks. I recorded the whole stream and imported it in software to
> investigate. It turned out that most of the wimpy-ness comes from us
> being much lower (same peak levels, but not so heavily compressed) than
> the other tracks.
>
> So in theory or utopia, we should refrain from compressing our audio so
> hard. But in reality, the loudness war is lost.
>
> NB: This weekend were our third week on the chart. Now I squashed our
> master accordingly and send it to them to play instead of the old, wimpy
> one, should we be fortunate enough to still be on the list next week...

A certain amount of compression is nice to make everything sound big,
but when it gets to the point that everything in the mix is exactly the
same loud volume, it's just gone too far.

Go ahead and compress though, certainly!

+ Sr. UNIX Systems Admin +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ James Franck Institute +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ Materials Research Ctr +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky