Re: [LAU] master levels (and dithering)

From: Chris Cannam <cannam@email-addr-hidden-day-breakfast.com>
Date: Wed Feb 04 2015 - 00:31:40 EET

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015, at 10:19 PM, Harry van Haaren wrote:
> A statement like "Linux audio is full of pitfalls" has no constructive
> element in it. It diminishes the subject, and does so in a generalized
> and sweeping manner.

In isolation it would, but Linux audio *is* full of pitfalls, and
there's nothing wrong with saying so in a sentence within a longer
email.

I see that your objection is to posts that dismiss something without
giving any route to fix it, and I get that that doesn't help and it
would be really nice if we could all think again before posting such
things and maybe give them a bit more substance.

But I think what Fons is pointing out is different -- he's quoting posts
that have started saying (effectively) "the Linux version of this is
worse" without explaining what it was that was worse, or why. That's a
strange thing to start doing, and it suggests maybe something has gone
wrong that has made you (Ralf) reconsider your perception of things. It
would be good to know what that was.

Chris