Re: [LAU] Dithering - Was: master levels

From: Joakim Hernberg <jhernberg@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 05 2015 - 11:07:16 EET

On Tue, 03 Feb 2015 13:11:31 +0100
Atte <atte@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> This particular track was recorded on a zoom r24 and mixed in
> reaper/wine. So no linux EQ involved :-)
>
> It's not gear, it's not EQ. It's partly a bad recording (of mainly the
> drums including a crappy kit), partly my ability as a producer (don't
> think I'm *that* bad, though), but mostly a too low gain. I played
> alot with the recording I made of the entire chart. To mee it's
> pretty clear that the main problem is us being lower than the
> surrounding tracks.

If you use reaper I'd recommend checking out either the included
JS/Eventhorizon, or the standalone VST version as the last plugin on
the master channel. Lower the threshold until the RMS level of the
master hoovers around -12 to -16dB FS. Leave the peaks at -0.2 or so.

Very transparent on the music I've tested it with, seems similar in
loudness to many CDs, but still not overly compressed (of course
depending on what you've done to it earlier in the chain :)

--
   Joakim