[LAU] Android Audio over WiFi

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 07 2015 - 21:10:17 EET

I have a cheap (hipstreet i8) android tablet I have been playing with. It
has Android 4.4.4, kernel 3.10.20 and says the cpu is an Intel product.

I have tried all the audio related applets I could find and have generally
been dissapointed with the latency. I hit the drum on a drum kit and the
sound is delayed enough to make it hard to play though it does help to not
listen to the audio and just play. I mention this as background for the
rest.

One of the apps is "WiFi Audio" http://www.ajeetv.info/wifiaudio/ (the
link is only the PC send end there is catually very little info about
this)

Anyway this app works quite well. Considering the background info above
about how much latency there is in android audio to begin with, I would
say that the WiFi transfor adds no noticable delay to the already long
android delay. The quality is good with drop outs only when I have the
android device obscured from the AP by a metal desk or something like
that. Certainly if the android audio latency could be cleared up this
would make a usable personal monitor for a musician for inear use.

In my case the audio chain looks something like this:
player -> pulse -> jack -> alsa -> out.
Jack is set to 128/2 which does some interesting things to pulse (It
forces pulse to deal with it at that latency)
The chain to my android is:
player -> pulse -> WiFi Audio -> android.
According to Pavucontrol, WIfI Audio if being fed by "Monitor of Jack
Sink".

The point of this is that if I had gotten a tablet/phone that was on the
ubuntu touch dev list, which while using the Android kernel, bypasses
most of the android audio stuff and goes straight to the Alsa bit. There
may be a usable monitoring system for Audio over WiFi.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net