Re: [LAU] Android Audio over WiFi

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 08 2015 - 18:51:42 EET

On Sat, 7 Feb 2015, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Feb 2015 11:10:17 -0800 (PST), Len Ovens wrote:
>> Certainly if the android audio latency could be cleared up this would
>> make a usable personal monitor for a musician for inear use.
>
> Sorry that I break my timeout. How much is an Android tablet with what
> kind of InEar headphones?

The expensive part would be the ear plug. I have seen in too many videos a
musician trying to both play and reinsert the plug in the ear. Generally
the part that fits in the ear has to be custom made to be sure of staying
there. Maybe someone else has different experiences. I was talking tablet
only because that is what I happen to be playing with. A phone would be
better/smaller. The idea would be to use something one already has to pick
up a digtal channel the mixer already spits out through the AP that was
already bought so the sound engineer can do mixing from anywhere in the
venue. Not to add new gear. The possibility to use the same device for
setting personal monitor mix levels is also appealing and intuitive (and
already available).

> When I was on stage in the stone-age, we had no InEar monitoring.

I still live and play there. Stage volumes from monitors already make
house mixing hard and we are not that loud really... I have worked (and it
looks like will again) with louder.

> However, those system bundles cost less than most professional InEar
> headphones cost without UHF and amp:

Yes, I may try using something like:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/shure_se112.htm

But may go wired for trial... To see how I like inear anything.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net