Re: [LAU] Android Audio over WiFi

From: Jan Depner <eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 08 2015 - 20:44:47 EET

On Sun, 2015-02-08 at 08:51 -0800, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Feb 2015, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 7 Feb 2015 11:10:17 -0800 (PST), Len Ovens wrote:
> >> Certainly if the android audio latency could be cleared up this would
> >> make a usable personal monitor for a musician for inear use.
> >
> > Sorry that I break my timeout. How much is an Android tablet with what
> > kind of InEar headphones?
>
> The expensive part would be the ear plug. I have seen in too many videos a
> musician trying to both play and reinsert the plug in the ear. Generally
> the part that fits in the ear has to be custom made to be sure of staying
> there. Maybe someone else has different experiences. I was talking tablet
> only because that is what I happen to be playing with. A phone would be
> better/smaller. The idea would be to use something one already has to pick
> up a digtal channel the mixer already spits out through the AP that was
> already bought so the sound engineer can do mixing from anywhere in the
> venue. Not to add new gear. The possibility to use the same device for
> setting personal monitor mix levels is also appealing and intuitive (and
> already available).

I have been using Shure SE215s with a wireless monitor system for the
past 5 or 6 years with no trouble. They come with about 8 different
sets of soft ear piece covers so you shouldn't have any trouble finding
ones that fit well. In addition, the wire just below the ear pieces is
very stiff and can be bent to fit tightly around your ear. I put a
safety pin inside my shirt at the neck (usually through the label at the
back of the neck) and run the cable down through that. With the Y of
the cable above the safety pin it can't get pulled down by my guitar
strap.