Re: [LAU] ground loop hell

From: jim <jim@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 08 2015 - 23:28:17 EET

( ... )

     Modern American electrical code requires a
big-sized bare conductor (and some minimum
length requirement that I forget) coiled into any
poured concrete foundation. This is an effective
ground.
     Simply drilling into concrete and installing some
conductive rod is ineffective.
     Some practitioners use multiple ground rods,
all connected together, driven into the earth, with
a big conductor from the ground rod array to the
service entrance. There are different sizes of
grounding rod, from 1/2 inch to 1 inc diameter.

     Most of us have no control over the electrical
wiring we use.
     With rare exceptions, initial electrical wiring is
proper. Problems show up after non-electricians
(handy personages, cheap M. Mouse laborers...)
show up to extend or repair things. It's hard to
wire things badly because the suppliers sell only
devices that conform to the National Electrical
Code--wiring things up is a matter of using the
right tinker toy, hard to get wrong other than
swapping the neutral and the hot (hot is either
red or black and connects to a brass colored
screw; neutral is white and connects to a silver
colored screw; ground wires are either green
or bare copper and connect to a green colored
screw).

     If you own your own home and it uses a
grounding rod, consider sinking another one or
two or five or 27 and connecting them all together.
     Multiple grounding rods reduce the impedance
of the barrier between a single grounding rod and
the actual dirt into which it's sunk by a factor of
the number of grounding rods (two rods halve
the impedance between the service ground lug
and true earth).
     Note that the size of the conductor should be
huge (#4 at minimum, 0 or 00 or greater can't
hurt and might be correct depending on expected
ampacity). This conductor must connect each of
the ground rods to the others as well as (a single
length) to the service entrance bonding lug.
     Note also that the devices that clamp the wire
to the grounding rods must be the correct size
and material for both the rod and for the wire.
     If you have grounding problems, it's likely that
the original grounding components have
corroded or become loose. Either presents a
potentially dangerous shock hazard. (Adding
grounding rods to a working system does not
as long as you do not break the existing
connections.)