Re: [LAU] ground loop hell

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sun Feb 08 2015 - 23:05:44 EET

On Sun, 8 Feb 2015 15:52:43 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Sunday, February 08, 2015 03:23:44 PM Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> On Sun, 08 Feb 2015 21:14:12 +0100, Hermann Meyer wrote:
>> >Old buildings didn't use grounds, they just have 2 cords and use the
>> >second as ground and backline. In German this is called Nullung.
>> >Potential issues are clear with this technique.
>>
>> Actually I'm living in an "Altbau" with retrofitted concrete-footing
>> ground electrode. Potential issues could be caused by tons or
>> grotesque reasons. Reality has absolutely nothing to do with school
>> books.
>
>A ground into concrete is not much of a ground at all. On this side
>of the small pomd, we are required to drill thru the concrete if its
>in the way, amd sink 2, 8' copper rods directly into the dirt below
>the concrete, spaced not less than 8 feet apart. And they are
>mandated to be connected to both the neutral and the static grounds AT
>THE ENTRANCE SERVICE AND NO WHERE ELSE.

The German term is "Fundamenterder" and it comes with a
"Potentialausgleichsschiene". We have a DIN norm for protective earth
neutral Fundamenterder with Potentialausgleichsschiene. The translation
to "concrete-footing ground electrode" isn't perfect.

On Sun, 8 Feb 2015 15:32:02 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>ANY time I go into that sort of a situation where there are unknowns,

That's the problem, there are always "unknowns".