Re: [LAU] Music made with Linux: Wanda & Nova deViator - ARP 339

From: Luka Prinčič / Nova deViator <nova@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 09 2015 - 23:34:09 EET

Harry van Haaren <harryhaaren@email-addr-hidden>:

> On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 1:49 PM, Luka Prinčič / Nova deViator
> <nova@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > If some of you remember the crazy bunny from Utrecht's LAC
> Yes, I remember seeing some impressive PD patches too :D

yes, PD has been my main programming environment for more than 10
years. i'm now moving more towards SuperCollider, but some things
theses days are easier to quickly prototype in PD.

> > We wrote and released a new album two weeks ago <snip> get a very
> > limited edition USB
> Awesome - artwork looks great!

thank you. it's quite a collaborative effort between a designer in
Zagreb, Croatia (never met him in person), a local bookprinter here in
Ljubljana and myself...

> > Everything (90%) was written in Renoise on UbuntuStudio without any
> > external plugins. I used Ardour for all the vocals and a microKorg
> > synth in two or three places. I also used some CALF LV2 plugins on
> > vocals.
> I'd be interested to see your workflow on processing the vocals using
> Ardour / Calf? Starting around ~3:14 in Levitation you have lovely
> "pad voices", they repeat later at 4:18... if you feel inspired to
> document your workflow?

those particular "pad voices" were created by sending original vocal
recording through a VOICELIVE2 processor by TC-Helicon.

regarding vocals in ardour, i would usually manually cut out all the
silences (instead of gating), and make very slight adjustments to
timings of particular words. Renoise supports jack transport, so it's
easy to edit vocals in ardour while the composition is all still open
and can be changed in Renoise. i would then add limiting and
compression and equalisation to the vocals. sometimes de-essing. all
these were done with CALF LV2 plugins. i would be moderate with all
processing and render them and then load into renoise, so they stay
within one project (Renoise module file). specificaly in Levitation
i have sent the final vocals through a vocoder in mikroKorg. i would
compose the notes and MIDI-send them to vocoder so it would
simultaneously process vocals to the right frequency...

i hope that answered your question. if there are any more
these challenging questions, please let me know.

> Re the music - there are some lovely riffs and progressions in songs.
> The 3:00-3:30 breakdown in Recursion is lovely, although personally
> I'd probably have went totally crazy with the bassline.. i feel its a
> little "tame" now.
>
> I'm listening on my headphones now -looking forwards to a .flac listen
> with monitors - congrats on the release!

thank you! don't forget to turn on the sub.

L.

--
Luka Prinčič / Nova deViator // + 386-40-66-77-98 / http://deviator.si /
NEW ALBUM OUT NOW! => Wanda & Nova deViator: ARP 339 [DL|CD|USB]