Re: [LAU] OM6.9 on Arch

From: Simon Wise <simonzwise@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 15 2015 - 03:55:56 EET

On 15/02/15 06:28, David Jones wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2015 5:48 AM, Len Ovens<len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 14 Feb 2015, anders.vinjar@email-addr-hidden wrote:
>>
>>> The real pain here is having to do 32-bit at all! If we only got lw to
>>> consider 64-bit a 'professional' feature, and not just a high-end
>>> 'enterprise' feature... :-/
>
> Even my wife's years-discontinued little netbook is 64-bit.
>
>> With some distros talking about dropping support for 32bit kernels, 64bit
>> is just where the world is going anymore. 32bit versions are just
>> outdated.
>>
>> As someone who uses old computers for servers etc. I find this anoying...
>
> I do wish kernel makers would also stop requiring PAE support. I have a couple of boxes that don't support PAE.
>
> Musix is 32-bit only.
>
> I expect Debian will be producing 32-bit kernels for a good long while yet. They just seem to change slower than others.

or rather they have made a point of building for many platforms (at least until
the recent move to systemd). With systemd they drop their freebsd branch, but
also cut off some of the unofficial branches like hurd (systemd can only run on
linux ... hence no hurd, no freebsd) and probably lose quite a few of the small
embedded systems like raspbian that were based on debian but which becomes much
less useful as a base for any small headless systems. It was a very heavily
contested decision, fire and brimstone everywhere, but as it ended up a lot of
older stuff will drop off over time since adding systemd support won't happen to
less used packages.

Maybe it was too much to cover everything and still provide a base for
ready-to-use distributions, but there is a fork, said to be released when jessie
is, and given the need for a system without the huge pile of dependencies on
gnome and for some use cases it could well prove long lived ...

https://devuan.org/

  ... time will tell, but it would probably be a much better base for anything
simple and custom without a desktop (and without the need to boot quickly as a
short term cloud instance).

Simon