Re: [LAU] Replacing/enhancing MIDI, and OSC

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Mon Feb 16 2015 - 21:15:06 EET

On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 10:11:50 -0700 (MST), Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:
>1. Is MIDI-over-USB as constrained in timing, as MIDI-over-DIN?

As Paul already said, no, it isn't.

>If/when more than 16 patches are needed in a setup based on my
>current, I'll probably do some sort of bank switching based on program
>change commands

You can use several "virtual" MIDI outs and you also can use several
hardware outputs.

[rocketmouse@email-addr-hidden ~]$ amidi -l
Dir Device Name
IO hw:0,0 HDSPMx579bcc MIDI 1
IO hw:1,0 TerraTec EWX24/96 MIDI
IO hw:2,0 TerraTec EWX24/96 MIDI

For audio and MIDI I use the PCIe HDSP card and for MIDI in addition I
use at least one of the TerraTec cards. IOW I've got 3 * 16 channels.
Sometimes it's also good to have separated interfaces, even if you're
using less than 16 channels.

I'm using USB MIDI to dump data from external synth, but for short
SysEx data in "quasi real time" I'm using the PCIe and PCI devices.

--
"Aber beklecker nicht das Sofa, Sofa!" - Frank Zappa