[LAU] Replacing/enhancing MIDI, and OSC

From: Jonathan E. Brickman <jeb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 16 2015 - 19:11:50 EET

> MIDI over USB can be as fast as USB will move
> it (thought it may be choked to standard MIDI rate) MIDI over ethernet can
> also be much faster. OSC can move MIDI events and also time stamp those
> events... The stuff is there, but because OSC seems to have a very open,
> "you can do anything with this" base, there are no standard messages that
> mean A#3 has been hit with a force of 87 as there is in MIDI... Except to
> send MIDI over OSC.
>
> In truth, MIDI suffers some of the same thing when it comes to control
> surfaces. MCP seems to be the only standard out there. But for keyboard to
> synth connect, MIDI just works.

H'm. Some questions arise:

1. Is MIDI-over-USB as constrained in timing, as MIDI-over-DIN?

2. I had not heard of MIDI-over-OSC. And although I had heard of MIDI-over-Ethernet I had not thought of this context. Is it possible to send MIDI events, either encapsulated in OSC or by USB or Ethernet, without that low timing resolution of the DIN setup? If I set up something like USB-MIDI-to-Ethernet, is it possible to see real advantage?

3. Is JACK MIDI constrained in the low timing resolution of original MIDI, or is it more flexible?

If/when more than 16 patches are needed in a setup based on my current, I'll probably do some sort of bank switching based on program change commands, but the above timing issue appears to be worth contemplating!

--
Jonathan E. Brickman | jeb@email-addr-hidden | (785)233-9977
Ponderworthy | http://ponderworthy.com