Re: [LAU] Alternative Kernel for Mint 17.1?

From: Gene Heskett <gheskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 16 2015 - 19:13:53 EET

On Monday, February 16, 2015 08:46:17 AM Artem Vakhitov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> are there any good (binary) alternative kernels usable with the recent
> versions of Linux Mint? I have Linux Mint 17.1 on an oldish (~2007)
> laptop, and the stock low-latency kernel is not adequate for audio and
> MIDI work on this machine even with LXDE.
>
> Artem

Look in the repo for a kernel with rt-preempt in its name string.

Alternatively download the source tarball from the kernel.org site,
install build-essential, and build your own. Make a hard copy of an lsmod
report, and using "make xconfig", disable most of what is shown as a
default module build (a period is shown in the checkbox, clear the box by
clicking on it) leaving only what is shown on the lsmod listing, then near
the top of this seemingly unlimited choices of characteristics, check on
the stuff needed to make it an rt-preemptable build, including in the
makefiles extra version entry so it will be made with that now unique
name. rt-preempt seems like a good name to add.

as you, make clean;make;make modules;
sudo make headers-install
sudo make modules-install
sudo make install
sudo update-grub (or grub-update, I furgit)

Watch the output of this to verify that it found your newly installed
kernel. If it did, then reboot to it and test it. If the attempted boot
fails, write down the failure msg, reboot to the original kernel, run make
xconfig again and see if you can find, from what you wrote down, whats
missing and re-enable it.

Repeat the above make loop till it works.

TANSTAAFL:* Bear in mind that running such an entirely performance
configured kernel you will probably need a cooler fan equipt parking place
for your lappy, and its use can reduce the life of a battery charge to as
little as 25% of what it gets with the kernel that was originally
installed, so I would always plug its psu/charger in when being booted to
this high performance kernel.

*TANSTAAFL, from E. Hemingway, popularized by R.A. Heinlein, for "There
Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

I have a script I use for the build/install that I can post if there is
any interest.

Cheers, Gene Heskett

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)