Re: [LAU] Replacing/enhancing MIDI, and OSC

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 16 2015 - 19:22:58 EET

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 12:11 PM, Jonathan E. Brickman <jeb@email-addr-hidden
> wrote:

> 1. Is MIDI-over-USB as constrained in timing, as MIDI-over-DIN?

No.

> 2. I had not heard of MIDI-over-OSC. And although I had heard of
> MIDI-over-Ethernet I had not thought of this context. Is it possible to
> send MIDI events, either encapsulated in OSC or by USB or Ethernet, without
> that low timing resolution of the DIN setup? If I set up something like
> USB-MIDI-to-Ethernet, is it possible to see real advantage?

No. But almost nothing talks MIDI-over-OSC, it is just a gimmick. ipMIDI is
more widely used, but as usual there are competing standards for MIDI over
ethernet and ipMIDI is actually the lesser used of the two - I forget the
name of the other one.

> 3. Is JACK MIDI constrained in the low timing resolution of original
> MIDI, or is it more flexible?

Not constrained. JACK MIDI has essentially instantaneous transmission
between clients. When talking to external hardware, the timing is dictated
by the device driver API being used.