Re: [LAU] Alternative Kernel for Mint 17.1?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Tue Feb 17 2015 - 07:56:21 EET

On Tue, 17 Feb 2015 05:21:24 +0100, Hermann Meyer wrote:
>localmodconfig is a bit tricky, as it only build support for hardware
>which is currently used. You will end up with unsupported hardware
>(usb sound-card, printer, etc.)

Not if the devices are connected. However, I wouldn't use it myself.

>When you use make oldconfig, there is no sense in copy a config to the
>source tree.
>make oldconfig use the current loaded kernel config and overwrite the
>.config you've put in the kernel tree.

I wasn't aware that by default it does use the booted kernel's config.
Copying could make sense, if for some reasons we booted another
kernel, than the kernel from that we want to use the config. When
copying a config, the .config definitively will not be overwritten. I'm
doing it that way for more than ten years now and oldconfig never has
overwritten a copied config. However, good to know that if we boot the
kernel with the wanted config, that then no copying is needed.