Re: [LAU] Alternative Kernel for Mint 17.1?

From: Hermann Meyer <brummer-@web.de>
Date: Tue Feb 17 2015 - 06:21:24 EET

Am 16.02.2015 um 21:19 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 12:13:53 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Make a hard copy of an lsmod report, and using "make xconfig", disable
>> most of what is shown as a default module build (a period is shown in
>> the checkbox, clear the box by clicking on it) leaving only what is
>> shown on the lsmod listing
> No!
>
> Assumed the OP wants a minimalist linux-rt, that fit's to the
> OP's used hardware and nothing else, then
>
> localmodconfig
>
> is the way to go.

localmodconfig is a bit tricky, as it only build support for hardware which is currently used. You will end up with unsupported hardware (usb sound-card, printer, etc.). Also, for example Intel microcode loading needs to be enabled by hand, as the driver is already unloaded when you've logged-in.

> I never used it, I prefer to copy a config of the distro's default
> kernel, e.g. the config of an Ubuntu Studio lowlatency kernel and then I
> run
>
> oldconfig
When you use make oldconfig, there is no sense in copy a config to the
source tree.
make oldconfig use the current loaded kernel config and overwrite the
.config you've put in the kernel tree.
So just run make oldconfig, without copy anything to the kernel-tree
will lead to the same results.