Re: [LAU] :( Replacing/enhancing MIDI, and OSC

From: Raphaël Mouneyres <rmouneyres@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 17 2015 - 12:09:00 EET

> On Tue, 17 Feb 2015 10:25:23 +0100, Raphaël Mouneyres wrote:
>> You're right here.
>
> Len isn't just right with this. Len also explained why old faithful
> MIDI, even with it's drawbacks, is a very useful thing.
>
> I'm a MIDI guy from the beginning and I disliked MIDI much, but nowadays
> we seldom suffer from MIDI issues, usually we suffer from odd MIDI
> implementations. The most annoying issue IMO is that we don't get hard
> real-time nowadays. There's a big difference between computers from the
> 80s and 90s, providing hard real-time and the crap we get today. It
> always was possible to use more than just one MIDI interface. The first
> computers, such as the C64 suffered from bad resolution, but later
> computers, such as the Atari ST didn't suffer from this issue. The baud
> rate and other limitations are an issue, but the real big issue
> nowadays is the design of the hardware and software. Fortunately we are
> still free to use more than just a single MIDI interface, we still
> could use separated MIDI interfaces for each channel. SysEx data isn't
> real time data, but it can be treated as real-time data, assumed we use
> several MIDI interfaces and the rest of the hardware should be ok and
> the software should be ok too. For example, there's no need to send
> checksums with SysEx. SysEx "commands" often cause less traffic than
> Pitch Bend or After Touch does.
>
> When using MIDI, the KISS principle is the most important approach, but
> unfortunately it seems to be out of style.

Don't get me wrong I do agree that MIDI is very useful today too. In fact I play in a band where the whole setup has automation for changing effect and even electronic-drums, and this is all MIDI, and ultra-reliable on stage with a mix of standard plugs and midi-over-usb.
I pointed out he's right about a modern "plug-and-play" attitude for networked discovery of services, and we all know this is not what MIDI is about.
It is often said that MIDI is dead, but as someone said earlier, most synth and controllers if not all come with MIDI onboard, and I find it very comforting as it guarantee a compatibility with older pieces of hardware, and it won't stop until any other kind of new protocol has proven to do better.
I had thought about writing a Copperlan client for Jack, this would offer a bridge between the Copperlan devices on the network, and MIDI devices available on Jack server... but finally dropped the idea.

Raphaël