Re: [LAU] Alternative Kernel for Mint 17.1?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Wed Feb 18 2015 - 10:21:06 EET

On Tue, 17 Feb 2015 18:03:41 -0800, Max wrote:
>> Max signs a message to a mailing list with a PGP SIGNATURE and at
>> the same times recommends to install from a PPA ;). SICR. I would
>> install from a PPA too, with or without trusted key, but it's too
>> funny that somebody who feels the need to sign messages to a list
>> recommends to install from an untrusted repository. Perhaps I'm
>> mistaken and kernel.ubuntu.com is a trusted Mint repository.
>
>Glad to bring you joy today Ralf.
>
>If you add the PPA https://launchpad.net/~kernel-ppa that might give
>you a thin added layer of security so you know that noone has hampered
>with your kernel while downloading it, because your package manager
>will take care of the key exchange and verifying if I'm not mistaken.
>
>You still have to trust Mark Shuttleworth because you download from
>the Ubuntu Server, but since you use Mint I recon you trust him anyhow
>already.

I'm just kidding, because it's unusal to sign messages send to a list.

My explanation to build a kernel just downloaded the source from
kernel.org.

For those who want "security":
https://www.kernel.org/category/signatures.html

In the end we anyway need to trust somebody most of us don't know and
regarding a current thread on a FreeBSD mailing list, the NSA's spyware
is inside our HDD's firmware :D.