Re: [LAU] Simplest USB MIDI --> wireless --> JACK ?

From: Jonathan E. Brickman <jeb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 18 2015 - 23:59:38 EET

> > If you have a RPi I would certainly consider setting it up as a MIDI
> > to WiFi transponder thingy. Otherwise you could look at devices like
> > this: http://www.thomann.de/nl/cme_widixu.htm
>
> iif you really don't get whether a proper usb cable is the best all
> round solution to your problem,

A USB cable is not the best solution to my problem. I have exactly one appropriate USB port on my keyboard, and I don't want to wear it out -- I have seen far too many USB-A and USB-B ports and cables wear out over the last five years for comfort. Haven't worn out any MIDI DINs yet, but recent conversation has finally given me the answer to some anomalies seen in some very fast music played through MIDI-DIN, so I have to start the engineering for durable ultrareliable portable MIDI-USB, and a permanent dongle for wireless of some sort seems the only practical way.

> then i'll suggest to rig the rpi with
> proper alsa-midi and yours trully qmidinet (--no-gui; set to alsa-midi
> only), while at the other end, either wired or wireless, run qmidinet
> again as well, but now taking jack-midi as the preferred interface. or
> ipmidi, if windoze or macosx is on target. beware, the latter is not
> quite free, charges may apply;)

Looked it up. I like a lot! I'll just have to get started :-) Tell me: why ALSA-MIDI on the RPi side? Does this mean I don't have to have JACK running on the RPi? That would be most extremely cool.

--
Jonathan E. Brickman | jeb@email-addr-hidden | (785)233-9977
Ponderworthy | http://ponderworthy.com