Re: [LAU] Simplest USB MIDI --> wireless --> JACK ?

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 19 2015 - 00:20:05 EET

On Wed, 18 Feb 2015, Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:

>> then i'll suggest to rig the rpi with
>> proper alsa-midi and yours trully qmidinet (--no-gui; set to alsa-midi
>> only), while at the other end, either wired or wireless, run qmidinet
>> again as well, but now taking jack-midi as the preferred interface. or
>> ipmidi, if windoze or macosx is on target. beware, the latter is not
>> quite free, charges may apply;)
>
> Looked it up. I like a lot! I'll just have to get started :-) Tell
> me: why ALSA-MIDI on the RPi side? Does this mean I don't have to have
> JACK running on the RPi? That would be most extremely cool.

If you are only using one path as in this case, Jack will serve no
purpose. Alsa is already there and keeping running bits as few as possible
will give the best timing. KB -> pi(alsa -> qmidinet -> wireless)
Or with Jack: Kb -> pi(alsa -> netjack - > wireless)

The problem with netjack, is that one end runs as a backend and so if
network fails, jack fails. The master side will keep running if the slave
side is out of range, but the slave side jack would exit. If you were
running audio as well, then netjack might be better as it is all in one.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net