Re: [LAU] Ardour export question...

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 19 2015 - 20:03:21 EET

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 3:29 AM, Dale Kazakore Powell <dj_kaza@email-addr-hidden>
wrote:

> But what if you want to listen to audio from a different application
> connected to Jack while exporting?

That's basically ridiculous.

> Surely it should just disconnect from Jack (although this could possible
> cause routing issues on reconnecting once finished) and run as fast as
> possible using max CPU cycles.

You're ignoring the idea that export may involve other JACK clients. It may
involve, for example, a JACK client functioning as a software synthesizer,
or a JACK client function as an "outboard" FX processor. Disconnecting from
JACK would be completely wrong in such cases, and special casing the
examples where we *could* disconnect from JACK is an absurd amount of extra
work given that we are using JACK's ability to drive the process cycle AND
share data (even within Ardour itself.