Re: [LAU] Ardour export question...

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 19 2015 - 20:03:51 EET

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 03:29:56PM +0700, Dale Kazakore Powell wrote:

> But what if you want to listen to audio from a different application
> connected to Jack while exporting?

Not possible.

> Surely it should just disconnect from Jack.

That would work only if there are no other Jack clients in the
signal path of the export. In theory it should be possible to
isolate only those that actually are connected somehow to Ardour,
and let the rest run normally, but that is not how it works.

> Actually I know I have personally exported files after normalising
> while listening to different music connected through Jack so your
> description seems a little strange to me...

That seems impossible.

> Does Ardour export with
> external sources (eg jack connected soft synths) so only the
> internal audio? If the former then it should always be done real
> time (maybe the source comes from the real world, not the digital
> realm)

If any of the sources required for the export is not a Jack client
or not synced to Ardour or not capable of running in freewheeling
mode, you simply can't expect export to work.

> if the latter then there is no real to involve Jack, or
> anything related to the audio interface side of things at all!

No, you could still have processing in other Jack clients which
are connected to Ardour (i.e. external inserts rather than plugins).
A common example would be a mastering processer such as Jamin.

Ciao,

--
FA