Re: [LAU] Behringer and Linux

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 31 2015 - 01:49:32 EEST

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015, Paul Davis wrote:

>  then Ardour is a long way from using the whole of an MCP surface
> anyway.
>

> ?? We support the entire protocol. I have an SSL Nucleus and Ardour can use every
> button and every knob and fader. What are you thinking of?

There is a lot of writing below, so in case you don't make it all the way
through (thats ok BTW). I just want to say that I am not complaining
either about the state of Ardour or the speed with which work is being
done. I am delighted to have what I have and with what works that allows
me to record and mix music. I am not suggesting in any way that any of
these things are priority, which is why I have never complained about
them. I have looked at the code in this area, but c++ and I don't seem to
get along. I can't follow it that well, let alone create patches though I
would like to. I would probably just waste people's time debugging my
badly written code. I do c ok if it's simple.

Ok, I may be mistaken on some things. I don't seem to be able to get the
SOLO off to work. The ones for each channel work fine, but by my notes
90 5A 7F should turn off all SOLOs. It didn't seem to do anything. My
thought was that it would do the same as the big flashing solo button on
the Ardour transport pannel. The other thing that seems odd is that the
"Logic Control User's Manual" says that when using the bank select, the
last bank should include up to the last channel. So if there are 18
channels, and a bank is 8 channels, there should be 1-8, 9-16 and 11-18.
So far so good, then it says that banking backwards the banks should
always start an even number of banks from the beginning. So 11-18, 9-16,
and 1-8. What happens to me is that I have 11-16, 3-10 and 1-8. (actually
I was using banks of 5, but the idea is the same) The other thing that
does not do as I would expect is the channel sellect button does not make
that channel selected on the mixer GUI (and the editor too for that
matter) Also, even aside from a control surface I would think making a
track selected (as from the edit window) should force the same track in
the mix window to be visible (scroll right or left till that channel is in
the visible part of the mixer window). I would even go so far as to
suggest that it should at least be selectable that whatever bank is valid
on the control surface should have all channels visible as well (if
possible). The really important parts like fader moves, channel buttons
and transports do work very well. It is enough for me to work with as I
don't have all the buttons anyway. I don't have an LCD display (it's
comming).

Now I may not have the latest version either 3.5.something (and it may
have been older when I was testing these things). So some of these things
may be fixed. Also some of the things I think make sense, may not really.

Note that all of the things I noted above are mouse clicks outside of the
menuing system (solo lamp, selecting a track, moving the view point of the
GUI) and most MIDI mappable things are from the menu list. KB short cuts
can not be assigned to them either.

Speaking of selecting... (this is GUI related) An example here would make
sense:
Channel one has an Eq plugin.(in this case) and the context menu will show
me the available controls that I can have showing. Ok, now I select
channel two. The mix strip has red around it and the editor window shows
channel two as selected as well. now I right click in the plugin area of
channel two and hover over the controls menu selection and I see the EQ
controls from channel one still. Now I know there is no Eq plugin in
channel two so I am ok, but if there was, I would assume I was looking at
the eq for channel two and might adjust it which would be bad.

These are just a few quick things from top of my head just now. (the MIDI
filtering for input MIDI either doesn't filter or doesn't do what I
expect.. I tried to separate a MIDI stream into 16 tracks allowing one
channel per track)

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net