Re: [LAU] Behringer and Linux

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 01 2015 - 21:46:18 EEST

On Wed, Apr 01, 2015 at 06:03:08PM +1100, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> So you are saying that Behringer manufactured and released an entire range
> without testing *any* of them before they went out the door for ground
> loop issues at the board/design level?

Happens all the time with cheap things. Some prototypes or early production
samples are tested, then the production process is adapted to large volume,
very probably everything is outsourced to a different sweatshop, and any
further quality control is supposed to be done by the user.

As for Behringer, I still have to see the first bit of hardware that
does not have some problem. Everything that I've tested for the last
ten years or so has failed in some way.

> I'm sure that someone from the LAC would be more than happy to test it for
> Fons and help get to the bottom of the problem.

The thing is not on the list of assets I control, so forget about that.

> From his description it sounded like the device was working pretty good
> with Linux in every other way.

There is absolutely nothing in my original post that would even
faintly suggest that anything was working. Please stop suggesting
that I wrote things I did not write. You seem to have enough issues
with what I _did_ write anyway.

> Just a bit of hum at the hardware level.

Again, not 'just a bit' but tons of it. Reread my original post.

> That is not bad considering that only a few years ago the idea of an
> affordable plug and play digital hardware mixer on Linux was just that,
> an idea.

It's not a digital mixer, nor did I suggest it was.

Meanwhile the thing has been used as an headphone amp since we
needed one. So I can confirm that channel 1 line input is working,
as is the master strip and the headphone output. That's all.

Ciao,

--
FA