Re: [LAU] Behringer and Linux

From: Russell Hanaghan <hanaghan.osaudio@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 01 2015 - 22:51:18 EEST

~ Russell

> On Apr 1, 2015, at 11:46 AM, Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 01, 2015 at 06:03:08PM +1100, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>>
>> So you are saying that Behringer manufactured and released an entire range
>> without testing *any* of them before they went out the door for ground
>> loop issues at the board/design level?
>
> Happens all the time with cheap things. Some prototypes or early production
> samples are tested, then the production process is adapted to large volume,
> very probably everything is outsourced to a different sweatshop, and any
> further quality control is supposed to be done by the user.
>
> As for Behringer, I still have to see the first bit of hardware that
> does not have some problem. Everything that I've tested for the last
> ten years or so has failed in some way.

Emphasis on "cheap". Just to trail on from the general convo re: behringer. There is a reason it's so "affordable" and available. That said, I have some B gear in my arsenal for live and recording stuff. I figure if it's doing what I need it to, all is dandy. I simply consider it disposable gear to some degree. The $200 Euromixer 32-8-2 is absolutely handy as a live mixer. The preamps are even quiet enough to do some "b" level recording thru. Bit fragile and crispy sonically but they work. Do I expect it to perform like quality gear? Nope! Not ever! I've spent $200 on a cable.. Not telling you guys anything you don't know... Just sayin even crap gear has it's uses. :)