Re: [LAU] Behringer and Linux

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Wed Apr 08 2015 - 14:33:39 EEST

On Wed, 8 Apr 2015 13:37:31 +1000 (EST), Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>It does seem that some people just hate Behringer, for what reason I
>don't know.

Hi Patrick,

it isn't hate, the reason is experience. We like Behringer for some
usages too.

Some of us just recommended to care about the purpose of use, when
paying much money for audio gear. The product Len was talking about
isn't cheap, it's expensive, even while it might cost less then
competing products.

If there e.g. are two products from two different vendors, that are both
long-lasting, both have the same good audio quality, operability and
the same price, those products still might provide different
reparability.

Some companies might provide this product with slide-in unites, other
companies might provide the product in one piece.

Some companies might provide this product or at least spare parts for
it, for several decades, other companies might have a different policy
regarding their assortments.

I pay 37.83 € for a Behringer X V-AMP LX1-X. It provides all needed
effects, including amp and speaker simulations and a headphone output. I
also own several stomp boxes. Each stomp box just provides one effect
and at least does coast twice that much and sometimes much, much more.

The Behringer is good to plug in a headphone and to play your guitar in
your flat, but on stage, would you like to interrupt your songs, each
time you turn an effect on or off? "My apologies audience, when I turn
on the overdrive for the guitar solo, we'll stop the song for a
second, because the gear has got a delay, when turning on or off
effects."

IOW it's not hate against a company, we only report our experiences. If
you want a chorus, an overdrive, a wah wah and a sustainer (compressor)
you can get everything for less money by this Behringer device, but if
you want to be able to turn the effects on or off, without delay, for
real-time usage, you better spend more money, to get old faithful stomp
boxes, or you maybe will decide to at least buy the 9,- € stomp boxes
from Behringer, instead of this all-in-one device.

So the reason that we mention drawbacks, we more often experience with
gear from Behringer, than with gear from other companies isn't hate,
it's experience.

Regards,
Ralf