Re: [LAU] Pixel Land Jazz Ensemble

From: Gene Heskett <gheskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 17 2015 - 03:09:52 EEST

On Thursday 16 April 2015 15:51:12 Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> Gene Hesket wrote:
> >> Some of you may be interested in a fresh slice of "The Saints Go
> >> Marching in" from the "Pixel Land Jazz Ensemble" as arranged by Dr
> >> Richard Marschall
> >>
> >> https://soundcloud.com/kotau/final-saints-48khz
> >
> > I thought this one was worth listening too, and on balance it was.
> > Nicely creative but a bit slower paced than the Saints would
> > normally be. Rather than the rousing march it usually is, it gives
> > the impression of just slowly ambling down the street. Solo work
> > from around the 4 minute mark on was nicely highlighted. Thank you.
>
> Thanks Gene, I agree that the main section has a tighter feel to it
> and the "Pixel Land Jazz Ensemble" comes together well at that point
> but I hope you'll have another listen to the lead in again. It's
> Actually more Impressive than the main section from several aspects
> ;-)

The bb- work is good, better than I could do when they handed me one of
them when I was about 14, playing in the school band in the late '40's.
I got the double B flat because no one else wanted it. Sort like the
drill sargent, point at guys & saying I need 3 volunteers, you, you, and
you.

But I never really got past the usual stuff they were teaching in the
40's. So I'm a bit like Howard Cosell, who claimed he had never played
the game. But even then I knew that even if I got to be the worlds
best, I'd still be sitting in the back row. :)

> > You can hear this track and others on the LCRM jazz stream:
> >
> > http://lowcostrestaurantmusic.com
>
> --
> Patrick Shirkey
> Boost Hardware Ltd