Re: [LAU] running jackd from rc.local

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 17 2015 - 16:28:41 EEST

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015, Ede Wolf wrote:

> Great you've asked, I am having the same problem. "su - user" does not work,
> but logging in as user and run the same command does. Happens with both, jack
> and jack2. With jack2 I am also getting an error that it can't open X, wenn
> run from command line. But that maybe an issue specific to the jack2 version
> of arch, as there is no reason why jackd should need a display.

If you are going to run jackd2 from a script, you need to run that script
from dbus-launch... this probably what it is looking for when it says "X".
The problem is that anything else that wants to interact with that jack
then needs to have the same dbus environment strings. I did this using
screen as a cli session manager so all the bash instances had the same
environment, but there are other ways to.

The thing to remember is that when logged in, everything you run has been
started by a single process. If you use rc.local and then login. you may
be the same user as the process started by rc.local, but there is no other
connection. Your environment strings will not be unified.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net