[LAU] How to send MIDI clock or Jack Transport over local network?

From: Bruno Ruviaro <bruviaro@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 27 2015 - 00:54:01 EEST

Hi all,

I'm a bit stuck trying to figure this out... I want to run SooperLooper in
several laptops (in a laptop orchestra context), and be able to sync them.
The laptops will be connected to a local network (wifi, or possibly via
ethernet).

From what I read, I could try doing this either with a MIDI clock, or with
Jack Transport (via NetJack? Though I don't need to send any audio to/from
laptops).

I've installed Rui's QmidiNet and QmidiCtl, but when I try to start them, I
get an error message (setsockopt(IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP): Invalid argument;
socket(in): your kernel is probably missing multicast support.
).

Are these the right tools for the job? How can I send a MIDI clock to
several other laptops over a local network? Should I be trying NetJack
instead?

Any hints appreciated.... thanks!

Bruno

[*] I've ruled ou NetJack for Jack Transport sync, as it syncs all clients
to one soundcard, where in my case each laptop will be playing with their
own separate soundcard and speaker.