Re: [LAU] Music made with linux: a773/attention span

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 29 2015 - 09:20:54 EEST

On Tue, April 28, 2015 4:22 pm, Dale Kazakore Powell wrote:

> On 27/04/15 12:19, Atte wrote:
>> On 04/26/2015 03:13 AM, Dale Kazakore Powell wrote:
>>
>>> Been loving all the music you've been posting lately Atte.
>> Thanks!
>>
>>> Not managed
>>> to listen to this one yet, internet connection in this village is
>>> terrible! But I second the post above, what are you using now? I
>>> remember some good number of months ago you posting about not liking
>>> the
>>> changes that came with Renoise 3.0, which has been my DAW for years
>>> (although I've not written anything for at least a couple now and not
>>> even downloaded 3.0) so I would like to know if you found something new
>>> that agrees with you or if you ended up returning to the bosom of rns?
>> I weighed my options, and decided Renoise still does certain stuff (like
>> this) the best. So I decided to use it for what it's good at and write
>> the tools for the things I miss in my workflow. For more traditional
>> recording I use reaper, which for the most parts work really well.
>>

> Cool, fair enough. I really should pull my finger out and see if I can
> find my mojo again! Will probably start back with Renoise if I do but
> have always wanted to shape things towards a live set (laptop &
> controller based) and Renoise was never quite the right tool for that.
> Although with Duplex in 2.8 there were some tools that were going that
> way but I have no idea is 3.0 ha expanded on this or moved away...
>
> What tools have you been writing yourself? Standalone bits of with the
> Renoise API?
>
> Listened to the track now and afraid I have to be honest and say it's
> one of my least favourite of yours lately. I like the drums, the bass
> works nicely, even the cheap sounding e-piano fits in there. But
> personally I couldn't overly get on with the almost lead/chip noise (or
> however you would describe it) and it's too central to the tune to be
> able to ignore that element. But that's just one person's personal
> preference and I still liked most of the elements of the track.
>
> Thanks for your latest reply describing your beat creating process. :)

I like this track. Doesn't sound cheesy to me.

IMO, A high quality example of Jazzy Liquid DnB.

Atte, I notice that you are branching out into a selection of uptempo
beats with this new "album". I'm keen to hear your take on
Reggaeton/Merengue stylez if that is something you are interested in
exploring. (hint hint nudge nudge)

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd