Re: [LAU] Music made with linux: a773/attention span

From: Dale Kazakore Powell <dj_kaza@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 29 2015 - 12:32:42 EEST

On 29/04/15 13:20, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> On Tue, April 28, 2015 4:22 pm, Dale Kazakore Powell wrote:

>>> Thanks!

>>> I weighed my options, and decided Renoise still does certain stuff (like
>>> this) the best. So I decided to use it for what it's good at and write
>>> the tools for the things I miss in my workflow. For more traditional
>>> recording I use reaper, which for the most parts work really well.
>>>
>> Cool, fair enough. I really should pull my finger out and see if I can
>> find my mojo again! Will probably start back with Renoise if I do but
>> have always wanted to shape things towards a live set (laptop &
>> controller based) and Renoise was never quite the right tool for that.
>> Although with Duplex in 2.8 there were some tools that were going that
>> way but I have no idea is 3.0 ha expanded on this or moved away...
>>
>> What tools have you been writing yourself? Standalone bits of with the
>> Renoise API?
>>
>> Listened to the track now and afraid I have to be honest and say it's
>> one of my least favourite of yours lately. I like the drums, the bass
>> works nicely, even the cheap sounding e-piano fits in there. But
>> personally I couldn't overly get on with the almost lead/chip noise (or
>> however you would describe it) and it's too central to the tune to be
>> able to ignore that element. But that's just one person's personal
>> preference and I still liked most of the elements of the track.
>>
>> Thanks for your latest reply describing your beat creating process. :)
>>
> I like this track. Doesn't sound cheesy to me.
>
> IMO, A high quality example of Jazzy Liquid DnB.

Did I ever use the word cheesy? As I said every part of it was well
written just something about (one of) the main part(s) that doesn't
quite fit with me. But the first music I really got into and DJ'd for
many years was DnB (and Jungle) but I probably like less than 5% of the
liquid stuff. Which is maybe slightly more than the amount of jump up I
like... Techstep and darkness or proper jungle was always my styles. But
the world would be a very boring place if we all liked exactly the same!! :)

Dale.