Re: [LAU] Ardour Version Question: 2 versus 3?

From: Bruno Ruviaro <bruviaro@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 04 2015 - 21:56:52 EEST

On Monday, May 4, 2015, Ivan K <ivan_521521@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> I have some question regarding versions of Ardour
> that people are using.
>
> Currently, I am running Fedora 20, and their
> software repository has two versions of Ardour available:
>
> ardour-2.8.16-12.fc20
> ardour-3.5.403-1.fc20
>
> I seem to recall that in the past, despite
> Ardour3 being available, some people were still preferring
> to use Ardour2. This seems to be supported by the
> fact that Fedora offers both versions.
>
> Why might one prefer Ardour2 over Ardour3?

I think some people stayed with A2 just because it was working well for
them and didn't want to run risks or change their workflow.

Now that a more robust Ardour 4 is out, I guess usage of A2 will decrease
even more. I would not recommend anyone to install A2 or A3 nowadays. It
may take a while for A4 to arrive at official Fedora, Ubuntu etc repos, but
in the meantime you can get it directly from ardour.org (KXStudio
repositories for Ubuntu users already have A4).

Bruno