Re: [LAU] Ardour Version Question: 2 versus 3?

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 04 2015 - 22:54:12 EEST

On Mon, May 04, 2015 at 06:02:37PM +0000, Ivan K wrote:

> Why might one prefer Ardour2 over Ardour3?

Three reasons may have contributed to the choice:

* A3 takes more memory than A2. For example on my old
laptop (only 512 MB) A3 is unusable, even with a very
lean & mean desktop, while I have recorded 20+ tracks
on that machine with A2 without any problem.

* The editing model changed.

* When A3 emerged it offered little advantage if you
didn't need the new MIDI features.

The first problem may be solved with A4 (but I still need
to test this). The second is just something you need to get
used to.

Ciao,

--
FA