[LAU] First multitrack project: midi tracks and plugins

From: Ivan K <ivan_521521@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 08 2015 - 22:02:26 EEST

I have a 5 minute four channel midi file that
I essentially want to orchestrate and add
a spoken audio track to, and perhaps add a few other
audio tracks.

I first began experimenting on this file with qtractor.

One thing I would like to do is to switch plugins on
the same midi track. That is, say one particular midi
track is first synthesized with plugin x,
and then the next region of the same track
is synthesized with plugin y, etc.

After working with the qtractor and searching the
web, I am pretty sure that qtractor cannot do this.

And so now, I have begun working with Ardour.

Is Ardour capable of using different plugins for different
regions of the same midi-track?

I realize I can copy portions of an original midi-track
to another track and thus, achieve the same effect,
but for organizational reasons, I think I would prefer
to not do this as my project may expand to
more midi tracks than I could personally keep track of.

Or is switching plugins on the same midi track something
people generally do not do, and if you feel you need a different
timbre at a particular place, is the preferred method
just to create a new track?

Thank you for listening to my perhaps naive questions.