[LAU] ShowQ - "a QLAB for Linux"

From: Michael Jarosch <riotsound@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 13 2015 - 13:12:37 EEST

Hi there!

ShowQ is a unique cue-player for Linux-Audio-Users. I use it as a core
application for my theater activities.

Even in the linux-community it's not a very well known application,
although there's no other linux-program (I know) if you need a
one-shot-audio-player with features like f.e. programmable fade-in,
fade-out, no matter if you want it time-based or triggered by space (or
another key).

It can do a lot more - ShowQ has MIDI-support. Although I never tested
this feature, it should be possible to control any application with
MIDI-support. QLC(+) f.e. - or maybe some video-players do support MIDI
- I don't know...
Yeah, of course, ShowQ is not a drop in replacement for QLAB, but
speaking about audio it fits quiet perfectly in my setup.

ShowQ is in the Debian (and Ubuntu?) repositories, it's written in C++
and of course released under the terms of the GPL. Although this app is
quiet useful for technicians like me, the development stopped years ago.

I am not a coder, but I do my best to keep this project alive. On the
Debian bug-tracker I write bug-reports for ShowQ, hoping that on one
hand it's useful for other users to work around problems, on the other
hand that someone fixes them.

Last time I reported a bug Jaromír Mikeš the Debian-maintainer of ShowQ
wrote that he is not able to fix the bugs and he would like to kick
ShowQ. Of course, he also would like to package an alternative if there
would be some he could package.
I don't know any - so my linux-based theater setup is about to be killed
one day when ShowQ wouldn't compile on my debian machine, anymore.

So, what do I want from you?
Test ShowQ! Maybe it's the app you've been missing for a long time!
And if you're a coder with C++-skills, check out my bugreports on
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?repeatmerged=no&src=showq
- maybe you've got the clue...

OR: Got an alternative to ShowQ? You're welcome!

Greets!
Mitsch