Re: [LAU] Shielded electrical wiring for studio (or not)

From: Glen MacArthur <info@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 03 2015 - 23:45:13 EEST

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Jun 2015 21:59:50 -0700, Glen MacArthur wrote:
>>Chris,
>>
>>Wow, that paper is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.. Thanks
>>very much for the link and your insight..
>>
>>Glen
>
> Some countries were plastic conduit is much used have rigid
> regulations regarding radio interference suppression, fire prevention
> etc.. Do you really want to use metal conduit for cables to and from
> each light switch and outlet? Do you think that this really could be a
> serious weak point in your new studio? Anything else in your chain of
> used gear is without weak points?
>
> Consider to ask on audio engineer forums and read more than one paper.
>
> Unless you shouldn't be Ri¢hie Ri¢h, you perhaps want to spend time and
> money in something that might improve acoustic properties, audio gear
> or music instruments. That is at least what I would do.
>
> 2 Cents,
> Ralf

I wanted to make an objective decision with all the facts from both sides
so I appreciated that paper had some sound logic (pardon the pun) from one
side of the issue, I'm not taking it as the final word at all don't worry.
I'm fortunate enough to be able to do this project but only if I do the
majority of the construction myself so there ain't no Richie Rich spendin'
going on here at all... :)

I think in the end I'm leaning toward going with Romex (which does comply
with code here). The fact that this space is larger with a higher ceiling
to route the wiring through than what I had before will enable greater
distances from the single coil instruments generally.. As I said in my
original post the single coil noise was only a minor annoyance but I
thought it prudent to at least ask for some input before starting from
scratch. My gut feeling was that it was not worth shielding it but I
appreciate what everyone has shared and that they have taken time to
reply.

Glen