Re: [LAU] Interfacing an electric guitar

From: <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 20 2015 - 00:55:35 EEST

On Sun, 19 Jul 2015 09:19:06 -0400
"jonetsu@email-addr-hidden" <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Just got an electric guitar. First time. Now putting on a new set of
> strings.

First of all, thanks for all the replies !

For now I run the guitar through the passive DI box (Radial
Engineering JDI http://www.radialeng.com/jdi.php) and the passive box
out to a 1010LT mic input. I start rakarrack, and with qjackctl I
route the mono 1010LT output to rakarrack in_1 input. Seems OK. I
have to further try it out.

Many people here gave interesting ideas for use, and I will pursue them
as time becomes available. Using guitarix might be the next step.
Using line ins of the 1010LT would also be interesting, based on one
comment.

Ralf mentioned MIDI out with rakarrack and I tried it. As I write
this, rakaracck is connected to zynsubaddfx and basically coming up
with notes by itself :) Some gating should be applied there and I
suppose I could use a Calf gate from Ardour (setting up a track in
Ardour). No gater seems to be in rakarrack (although I use the one
from the distro, Linux Mint 17, which is 0.6.1-4 which might be old
(sourceforce is currently "temporarily in static offline mode").

Finger picking is clearly out of the capabilities of this
MIDI interface !

Speaking of, as an aside, anyone know how good is guitar-to-MIDI
professional conversion these days ? Not that I would fork $3000 in
any near or midterm future, but for instance, anyone know the
Multiac conversion performance of a Godin acoustic guitar ?

Cheers.