Re: [LAU] Interfacing an electric guitar

From: Blaise Alleyne <email+music@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 21 2015 - 21:46:19 EEST

On 19/07/15 05:55 PM, jonetsu@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> [...] Speaking of, as an aside, anyone know how good is guitar-to-MIDI
> professional conversion these days ? Not that I would fork $3000 in
> any near or midterm future, but for instance, anyone know the
> Multiac conversion performance of a Godin acoustic guitar ?

I saw some video demos for the Roland GR-55 guitar synthesizer with a Roland
GK-3 pickup OR a GC-1 Strat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h_5Zx55ong

http://www.roland.com/products/gk-3/
http://www.roland.com/products/gc-1/

And, just looking at this for the first time now... it seems like if you paired
a GK-3 with a GI-20, you can get MIDI out from the guitar:
http://www.rolandus.com/products/gi-20/

So, my lay man's understanding is...

- The GC-1 / GK-3 doesn't do MIDI output, but some (proprietary?) 13-pin
connector Roland thingy... but if you route that into a GI-20, you can get a
MIDI from it

- a pickup seems key (necessary?) to get polyphonic MIDI conversion, so you can
get a signal from individual strings, rather than trying to convert the overall
signal that's coming out the 1/4" jack... at least that's my guess (and
nevermind just finger picking with the Roland gear, it can handle chords too)

Again, I'm new this this space, but I'd love to create something like this
Guitarduino demo...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnbuOmGOJxA

... routed through free software, with an option for guitar-to-MIDI...

So, maybe something like...
- a Roland GK-3 pickup + GI-20 MIDI interface (or some equivalent) to pull
polyphonic MIDI from the guitar
- I love the idea of using Arduino to have extra controls at your fingertips on
the guitar
- then those controls and the audio and MIDI outputs from the guitar going
through a GNU/Linux suite of libre sound processing and synth software

</dream>