Re: [LAU] Session Management, ALSA MIDI Ports

From: Hendrik <henne-s@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 22 2015 - 00:11:35 EEST

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 09:38:15PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 20:14:11 +0200, Hendrik wrote:
> >My problem is a little different.
> >Here's a list of the MIDI Outputs:
> >
> >neptun% aconnect -o
> >client 14: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]
> > 0 'Midi Through Port-0'
> >client 129: 'Hydrogen' [type=user]
> > 0 'Hydrogen Midi-In'
> >client 131: 'yoshimi' [type=user]
> > 0 'input '
> >
> >These are the ports I can choose from in seq24. The problem is that the
> >numbering may change when hydrogen and yoshimi are restarted.
> >Therefore some patterns in seq24 may get played via the wrong MIDI
> >port. Is there a way to attach hydrogen and yoshimi to a port with a
> >fixed number?
>
> I run a2jmidid [1] and at the end of the script aj-snapshot [2], to
> connect Qtractor -> Yoshimi. From the file generated and restored by
> aj-snapshot [3]. This always works. It's a very old script and I needed
> to rewrite it regarding broken backwards compatibility issues :(, but I
> had nothing to do regarding the MIDI connection between Qtractor and
> two instances of Yoshimi, they still are automatically connected.

  Hi!

Just found a solution to this problem:
I had to enable manual alsa ports in ~/.seq24rc to make seq24 create its own
alsa ports:

[manual-alsa-ports]
1

Before this change I had to make all the midi connections directly in
seq24. Now, I can use patchage, qjackctl, etc. to make midi
connections. Unfortunately this setting is not documented in the SEQ24 manual.

Well, it works now. aj-snapshot can save and restore all the
connections. Actually there's no need to use a2jmidid because aj-snapshot will
save the alsa midi connections.
Now I can finally start working with the setup! :-)

  Hendrik

--
hendrik@email-addr-hidden:~$ gpg --fingerprint 40712948
pub   1024D/40712948 2007-12-29