Re: [LAU] Found ALSA driver for Behringer FCA202 (Firewire)?

From: Joe Hartley <jh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 14 2015 - 16:14:48 EEST

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 20:55:01 -0500
Jonathan Brickman <jeb@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Saw something I didn't expect while debugging my production box; in
> /proc/asound/cards, an entry named FCA202, which was my Behringer FCA202
> firewire interface. Since when does ALSA do Firewire interfaces?

This seems to be a 4.x addition. I discovered it last week when I was setting
up my live recording laptop and upgraded to the 4.x kernel, and couldn't start Jack with my FW mixer.

I haven't yet done a FFADO/ALSA comparison for stability, so I just removed the
ALSA modules before starting jack, and everything was OK.

rmmod snd_dice snd_firewire_lib

> But meanwhile, does this mean that I have the option of using
> JACK-->ALSA-->FCA202 as well as JACK-->Firewire-->FCA202?

Yes, but beware of conflicting kernel modules. If jack doesn't start with
your device, this is likely why.

> Anyone know which perhaps I should prefer for high performance at low
> latency? I'm running 96KHz and liking it a lot...

I have yet to try the ALSA drivers (but may run some tests today).