Re: [LAU] Mixer for recording and live

From: Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 10 2015 - 22:29:47 EEST

On 09/10/2015 05:30 PM, Rhizomatic Nomad wrote:
> In short: I'm looking for a mixer which works out of the box with linux.
>
> Longer story: For an acrobatic/music group I'm looking for a mixer with
> different compatabilities:
> - It should work as a(n analog) standalone mixer for mics and instruments
> - It should work with linux to get the sources into ardour, preferable
> replace an external soundcard
> - In best case it has Midi support to control ardour and other programs.

MIDI faders and an _analog_ mixer is a bit of a contradiction...

If you can do with a completely analog mixer:

* I liked the Mackie Onyx 16-channel desk a lot. Firewire out which
works flawlessly with FFADO, but no Wordclock in, hence difficult to
integrate into more complex recording setups. Mixer built like a tank,
very nice to work with.

* MIDAS makes a analog mixer with 2 full parametric EQs and Firewire
in/out, I think it's called the F32. It's a thing of beauty, but it only
has four auxes, which is a shame as it seriously limits its usefulness.
I loved it when I got to use it, have used it 3-4 times IIRC.

If you're looking for integration with Ardour etc. as a controller,
_and_ you can live with a fully digital mixer (and hey, why not?) both
the Behringer X32 and the Allen&Heath GLD 80 are quite nice to work
with, the bugs have been shaken out by now, and they provide awesome
value for the cost. The A&H QU might be another nice option at a lower
price point.

Personally, I have a strong dislike for the SI Compact and Performer (as
in OMFG what an awful desk, display is a joke, patching is a pain,
preamps noisy, each time I had to use them was an utter pain, and I now
refuse to work with them).
Presonus makes a digital mixer that looks great on paper, but it doesn't
have motorfaders and that totally rules it out for me. Failed concept if
you ask me.

HTH,

Jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487