Re: [LAU] The totally useless debate about purported 'natural' tunings [WAS]: Re: "droning" project: 249-257

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Thu Oct 01 2015 - 15:45:05 EEST

On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 13:56:51 +0200, Set Hallstrom wrote:
>Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> Actually "silence" not necessarily is a DC offset ;), but silence is
>> silence, it's just a part of music, silence alone isn't music, even
>> not for a John Cage composition.
>
>I once went to this "noise" gig. I can't remember the artist name, a
>friend took me there. The artist entered the room, and stood in front
>of us. Suddenly, he walked over to the water dispenser, and pulled the
>plug. Then i went back in front of us, a few seconds later, he walked
>to some overhead projector, and turned it off, then went back in front
>of us. He did this to EVERY object in that room producing noise,
>slowly, removing layer after layer of noise, to reach what was as
>close as possible to silence in that room. It made me think about
>silence in a new way.
>
>If anybody knows the name of the artist, please share it.

This seems to be an interpretation of a John Cage composition.

In one of his performances he just sit in front of a glass, perhaps
it was this composition:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4%E2%80%B233%E2%80%B3

I'm to lazy to read the complete Wiki.

IIRC the sitting in front of a glass performance also "purports to
consist of the sounds of the environment that the listeners hear while
it is performed", moreover, IIRC the music was the sound made by the
audience.